Sunday, January 5, 2014

{365} Challenge: Read 50 Books


For the past 4 years, I have challenged myself to read 100 books a year.  Every year I fail.  I typically finished with 30-50 books in a year.  What usually happens is that I find an amazing book (like Outlander) and it has a crazy number of pages.  (The Outlander series, which is currently a 7-book series and expecting the 8th book out in April, 2014, runs between 600-1500 pages per book)

You try to read 100 books in a year when 7 of them contain such a large number of pages.

This year, because of the 8th book coming out, and because I always manage to find and love longer books, I am cutting my book number down to something I may actually accomplish.  As I read and complete books, I will post links to them so maybe you will find something great to read too.  For the most part, I prefer historical fiction, with a little dysotopian  thrown in.  Also, because I work with high schoolers, I read young adult fiction too.

Books read:


  1. Baby-Led Weaning: The Essential Guide...  by Tracey Murkett - a great resource and taking us back to how babies were fed before the push of formula, cereals and processed baby food.  BLW is a much easier option!
  2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - This is probably my favorite book of all time.  Sci-fi, romance, historical fiction, action...this series has it all and then some.  Great for men and women both.
  3. Rules of Regret by Megan Squires - a fun, fast and charming novel by a friend and local author.  Romance without the smut.  
  4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - HP books will always be up there on my list of favorite books.
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
  6. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
  7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  8. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - pressured by the husband, I succumbed to his pleas and read this book.  After 3 pages I was so lost, so I watched the first episode.  That cleared up a lot and after that the book was engaging and full of great twists and turns.  I am looking forward to picking up the sequel.
  9. Rules of Civility by Armor Towles - After the last few books I needed this quick and witty novel.  Set in the late 1930's NYC, we have a young woman learning about life and love during the jazz era and the end of the depression.  The only thing that bothered me was how the author handled dialogue; it was unusual and took getting used to the different style.  
  10. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I lost my brother to cancer when he was 14.  This book follows teens who are battling cancer.  It was a very tough, but touching and excellent story.  Have tissues handy.
  11. Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon.  The latest book in the Outlander series, another fantastic read as we continue to follow Jamie and Claire and their family through the American Revolution.
  12. A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin.  This is the 2nd in the Game of Thrones series.  So addicting!
  13. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.  This book was chosen for my book club.  I actually found parts of the story annoying and pointless.  Sorry, but not one I would read again.
  14. Eve in Hollywood by Amor Towles.  This is a short sequel to Rules of Civility that takes us on Eve's journey through Hollywood through the eyes of the people she encounters.  What a fresh approach to writing.  Still annoyed at the way dialogue is written, but otherwise I enjoyed the book.


Have a book you love?  Share it below so I can check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment