Sunday, March 23, 2014

Easy Peasy Breakfast Burritos

Baby B and I were awoken this morning by the cat who decided it was time to jump down from the window above my bed and make a lot of ruckus in the process.  The husband had worked until 2 am so he was fast asleep, as was the rest of the house.

Not one to put hours to waste,  I brushed my teeth, tossed on a hoodie and sneakers, and loaded up Baby B in the stroller and off we went.

We live just a 5-minute-walk from a large farmer's market and swap meet, so it is nice to walk over and grab farm-fresh produce and scout yard sale deals every now and again.  While most of the lot is just vendors peddling cheap imports and knock-offs, every now and again you will find a gem.  Last weekend I found this awesome tricycle that was almost new, just had a little dust on it, for a steal!



I cleaned it up and am going to try to sell it at a profit to go towards our WDW fund.

While we there at the swap-meet today, I overheard one of the sellers purchasing a breakfast burrito from the food truck.  It sounded delicious, but I didn't want to spend my money on food when I could easily make it myself.  We left and headed to the grocery store to grab a few ingredients I was low on and then back home to make some breakfast burritos.



I love the recipe that Pioneer Woman posted for breakfast burritos, but really, nobody has time for that!  Baking all of those potatoes and prepping them was too much work for me this morning so I took a major shortcut.  I found these awesome O'Brien hash browns at Bel Air and they were on sale for $2.50 a bag.  They have onions and bell peppers already mixed in. I bought two so I could make enough burritos to last us a week.


So, without further ado, here is my recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb. breakfast sausage
2 bags O'Brien Hash Browns
10 large eggs
21 Seasoning Salute (Trader Joe's)
a couple dashes black pepper
large tortillas

Directions:
1. Cook hash browns according to package directions.  While the potatoes are cooking, start cooking the sausage in a separate pan.
2. Once done, place the potatoes on a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
3.  When the sausage is cooked through, remove from heat.
4. Beat eggs, seasoning, and pepper in a bowl.
5.  In the pan that you cooked the potatoes in (I used my large cast iron skillet because it is amazing), pour the scrambled egg mixture.
6.  When the eggs are almost done, add in the sausage and mix to combine.
7.  Once eggs are done, combine with the potatoes.
8.  Now all you have to do is roll the mixture up in tortillas, wrap those in foil, and freeze!

From start to finish, I spent less than 40 minutes and made 18 burritos.  To help make the tortillas easier to roll, I wrap them, two-at-a-time, in a damp towel and microwave for 30 seconds.  The nice thing about this is that when you are all done, you can take the damp towel and wipe down the microwave for an easy clean!








Yummy!  The hubby topped his off with some hot sauce.  I would have too if Baby B wouldn't object to my love of spicy foods.

In case you were wondering, this cost me around $10 for everything - about 60 cents a burrito, which sure beats buying them pre-made!


Happy Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment