Thursday, December 5, 2013

Themed Movie Night: Elf

With the sun setting by 5 p.m., the boys are inside earlier and always itching for something to do.  This week has been a cold one for Northern California so I planned a movie night for our family centered around one of our favorite Christmas movies, Elf.

The first thing that needed to be done was to put up some Elf-inspired decorations.  The boys and I cut up paper snowflakes to hang up (and they still don't want to stop making them) and strung them from the ceiling fan light in our living room.  I think by tomorrow's end I will have snowflakes all over the house.  I also took some sparkly gold paper I had on hand and cut them into strips for a paper chain garland.


Now, Buddy the Elf loves his four food groups: Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.  As a good mom, however, I know not to fill my kids with these treats before bed on a school night.  Trying to stay close to the movie, I made spaghetti like Buddy has during his first meal with his dad.

For a sweet treat after dinner, I gave the boys a few options to nibble on.  Trader Joe's seriously has the best snacks and treats.  I don't think it is possible for a person to walk out of there without one of the amazing goodies in their basket.  Today from TJ's I picked out some Candy Cane Truffles and Cocoa Drizzled Kettle corn.  I also put out some hot chocolate packets so we could enjoy some cocoa while watching the movie.  While drinking The World's Best Coffee might have been closer to the film, no one wants to deal with wired pre-teens on a weeknight.  I also happened to have on hand some Peppermint and Chocolate Chip Scones from Cost Plus World Market so I baked those while we ate dinner.


Dinner was perfect and the kids were excited to all be sitting down for a meal.  Like I have mentioned before, my husband typically works in the evenings, but this one of his night's off so we were all able to eat together tonight.  The big shocker came when Older Boy offered to pray before we ate.  He hasn't done this in years, I don't think.  He said a nice prayer where he gave thanks for his new sister and the money that provided the food and house.  So proud!


Younger Boy used dad as a bed and we all cuddled up and settled in to watch the film.  I am thinking we will be doing this more often - especially since I have some other themed nights running through my head.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment