Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Project Christmas: Crystal Luminaries

The other day I was cleaning out under my kitchen sink and found hundreds of tea lights.  One quick look in my garage on my workbench and I saw dozens of glass jars.  I needed to put these things to use, so I decided to make these pretty, crystal luminaries - or frosted luminaries.  Deciding on a name is too hard.  Heck, we didn't even have Baby B's name picked out until after she was born.




These are so pretty, right?  I just love the way they turned out.  The best part is, they can be used for other holidays or even as decor in a bedroom or bathroom.  Now, on to the tutorial.

 You will need:
glass jars - I found these square ones at Dollar Tree and also used some Mason jars I had lying around
Epsom salt
Mod Podge
Clear spray enamel
paper plate (we are big Dolphin's fans even though we are in California)
food coloring
bowls for mixing the food coloring and salt
spoons
sponge brush
wax paper

Gather your supplies!

Start by measuring out 1 cup of salt per color you want to make.  I did red, green, and white for Christmas.  Since I wasn't coloring the white, I poured that out on a plate and spread out to make even.  Then I poured 1 cup each into two separate bowls.  Once you do that you will put in 1-2 drops of food coloring into each bowl.  Mix it well.  At first it will look like there isn't enough coloring, but I promise you there is.

Now you want to start coating your glass jar in Mod Podge.  Don't do the bottom.  That would be just silly.  Be liberal with your glue, but don't leave it dripping.

Oh, my shoe is in the picture.  It was gym day!

Next, you will start pressing the glue-sides into the salt, making sure to coat all over.  If you notice spots with little salt, then dab a little Mod Podge and press the salt in with your fingers.


 Now it is time to let them dry.  Let them dry for 2-3 hours.
Ohhhh....watching paint dry.  Fun!


The color is a little hard to notice until you get them all next to each other.  Looking good!  Once they are dry, carefully carry them outside or to a well-ventilated area.  The last step is to spray them all over with the clear spray.  Make sure you turn the jars upside-down so the clear coating doesn't get inside the jars.  Do 2-3 coats of the spray, making sure to let dry between coats.

Once they are all done, you can place a tealight or candle inside and light them up!  Now you have a pretty decoration for a centerpiece or mantle eye-candy.











No comments:

Post a Comment